Police find intel officer who died mysteriously wasn’t killed by ‘a deliberate act’

A police review of the military’s probe into the mysterious death of a soon-to-be-charged Military Intelligence officer last year determined Monday that he was not killed by “a deliberate act.”

The officer, who was being held in jail under accusations of grave security offenses, and whose name remains barred from publication, was found dead in his in May 2021. There was no clear sign of cause of death, and an autopsy in Israel, as well as a blood test at a specialized forensic laboratory in the United States, were inconclusive.

In January, the Israel Defense Forces allowed the police to review its internal investigations.

The police team found “there is no indication that the officer’s death was caused as a result of a deliberate act by anyone,” according to a statement published by the IDF.

The statement said the police team found that the IDF “conducted all the necessary investigative actions,” but also recommended additional “investigative actions in a number of other areas.”

The officer’s family and lawyer were updated on the police findings, the IDF said.

Benny Kuznitz, attorney for the family of a Military Intelligence officer who died in custody last month, speaks to reporters before a hearing in a military court in IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv on June 7, 2021. (Flash90)

The officer, who served in a Military Intelligence technology unit, was facing expected charges for nearly two dozen separate offenses, as well as an expected 10-year-or-longer prison sentence. IDF chief of staff Aviv Kohavi said the officer had nearly caused damage to a state secret, but the damage was prevented at the last minute, following his arrest.

He was being held in prison while his attorneys and military prosecutors were negotiating a potential plea deal. On the night of May 16, 2021, he was found in serious condition in his cell and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a few hours later.

Though no official cause of death has been determined according to the IDF, military officials indicated it appeared to be a suicide.

The family has called for the military to recognize the officer as a fallen soldier. The officer did not receive a military burial as he had already been released from service while under arrest.

It’s not (only) about you.

Supporting The Times of Israel isn’t a transaction for an online service, like subscribing to Netflix. The ToI Community is for people like you who care about a common good: ensuring that balanced, responsible coverage of Israel continues to be available to millions across the world, for free.

Sure, we’ll remove all ads from your page and you’ll gain access to some amazing Community-only content. But your support gives you something more profound than that: the pride of joining something that really matters

Join the Times of Israel Community

Join our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this

You’re a dedicated reader

That’s why we started the Times of Israel ten years ago – to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.

So now we have a request. Unlike other news outlets, we haven’t put up a paywall. But as the journalism we do is costly, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Times of Israel Community.

For as little as $6 a month you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

Thank you,
David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel

Join Our Community

Join Our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.